Thursday 22 November 2012

An inspector calls

On the day: 
21/11/2012 

On the way: 
When the words come from over my shoulder, my stomach drops and my blood runs cold. 
Spoken softly, almost whispered, without threat, they still hold menace. "Tickets please." 
It's just one man - "We could take 'im," springs unhelpfully to mind - dressed inconspicuously in a dark hoodie. And his face is young, pleasant, unmemorable, wouldn't stand out in a crowd. Even if I'd been facing the doors as he boarded the bus this morning, I wouldn't have picked him as a ticket inspector. It's a tactic. Stealth checks. Those underhanded transport authorities, sending their spies to sneak in and snoop around... 
Wait a minute, what am I saying? I've paid my way. I couldn't have got much further than the bus driver without tapping my Oyster card on the electronic reader. I'm in the clear. I'm all right, Jack. 
Check me, sir. Check me. 
And now, check him, the big guy skulking in the corner back seat. I bet he hasn't paid, you can catch him.
Freeloaders, pfeh. Who do they think they are? Feeding off our taxes, stealing from the state... 

On the pod: 
17 Hills - Thomas Dolby 

On the front page: 
Church faces crisis after veto on women bishops (The Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment